The Summer Solstice is around the corner (06/22). It’s time to reanalyze our health and let the light and energy in. The Solstice is a global moment celebrated throughout the world. Crazy, right? It’s a time to take the sun and all its power to nourish ourselves. Who’s ready for some of the longest days of the year?
There’s no better time to add in some new rituals. Here are 5 things I do in preparation for the coming season.
5 Summer Solstice Rituals
- Cook with lighter, brighter foods. There are so many seasonal summer plants to cook with. Some of my favorites include strawberries, watermelon, tomatoes, squash, corn, cucumbers… YUM!!!
- Rise and set with the sun. You might find yourself waking up early and staying up later. I try to use this time to get outside. For us here in LA, it’s a great time to connect to nature. I love to go on early morning beach walks with my pup. Shhhh, don’t tell the lifeguards!
- Enjoy the outdoors. It’s the perfect season to take your coffee, lunch, or dinner outside. 20 minutes of sunshine gives your immune system the boost that we all need!
- Set your summer intentions. It is a beautiful time to focus on nourishment and patience. What are you looking to improve on in these categories? My current mantra is, “I am my own power, my own light, my own fire.”
- Write out gratitude statements. You’ll fill your cup and find more abundance in the day-to-day. This summer, my gratitude statement is, “I am grateful for all the mistakes I have made through life, through work, through my relationships. They have shaped me into the person I am today.”
I wanted to share with you my favorite summer recipe, Spicy Thai Lettuce Wraps. I grow my own veggies with my Lettuce Grow Farmstand, but you can easily pick up all the ingredients from the farmer’s market (or store).
Spicy Thai Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion
- ¼ hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 Chopped jalapeno (Optional)
- Trader Joes sweet chili pepper sauce (optional)
- Salt and ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add ground chicken until brow. Drain the fat.
- Stir in onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sriracha until incorporated. (~2 minutes)
- Add in the chestnuts and green onions and continue to combine. (~2 minutes)
- Separate the butter lettuce leaves. Add one big spoonful of the chicken mix in the center.
- Sprinkle on salt, pepper, and jalapeno. I love to add TJ’s sweet chili pepper sauce (optional)
What are your Summer Solstice Rituals?